Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Frustrations in Business Writing

As a business owner (particularly, as the owner of a communications business), it is necessary that I write about my services, market them via the appropriate channels, develop a user-friendly, informative website, and network like crazy. Easier said than done.

What's interesting is that I have no trouble communicating about other people's businesses. In fact, I thrive on it. But when it's time to market myself, I'm nearly at a loss. Why? I wondered.

After spending countless hours on my website's content, I realized what the problem is: I'm too close to the subject. I know TOO much. And, knowing too much can be as bad as knowing too little, at least when one is trying to write about one particular subject. Nothing is more frustrating to a writer than a blank page. It's not that I don't have hundreds or even thousands of ideas floating in my head. The issue is that I can't contain them and put them on paper in a cohesive manner. There's just too much information! Luckily, I know how to write a plan, develop a flowchart and then break each section down so that it can be easily managed (or at least more easily edited!).

The positive outcome of this exercise in frustration is that it has afforded me the opportunity to state with the utmost conviction that writing about one's business is much more difficult than it seems. The good news is that I can do the dirty work for you, so you won't ever have to worry about it. Now, if I could only get through my own site...

No comments:

Post a Comment